Website The Urban Parks Rangers’
High School Diploma or GED
The Urban Parks Rangers’ (UPR) mission is to link New Yorkers to the natural world through environmental education, outdoor recreation, wildlife management and active conservation.
Under supervision, lead educational and recreation based programs for school children, summer camps and adults in natural areas throughout the city.
Lead projects that support wildlife, preserve the urban natural world and promote stewardship of parks and natural resources.
Lead current programming which includes canoeing, hiking, seining, fishing, biking, historical tours as well as educational programming.
Staff nature centers, greet visitors and disseminate information regarding Parks Rules & Regulations, health & safety hazards and park events to the public.
Patrol parks and natural areas, provide a uniform presence and enforce Parks Rules & Regulations.
Provide first aid and emergency response to park patrons.
Issue summonses for the violation of Parks Rules & Regulations; may detain or arrest violators of city and state laws.
May be assigned to work in any borough.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. An associate degree or completion of 60 college-level semester credits from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Educational Accreditation (CHEA); or
2. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a State’s Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization and one year of full-time satisfactory experience in one of the following: law or code enforcement; security; ecology; or as an environmental instructor or ranger in a recognized park, recreation or ranger program, cultural institution or accredited school; or
3. A satisfactory combination of education and experience that is equivalent to “1” or “2” above. College education may be substituted for the required experience in “2” above on the basis of 5 semester credits for 1 month of experience. Experience working as a clerk or secretary is not acceptable.
Special Patrolman Requirement: At the time of appointment, you must meet the following qualifications for Special Patrolman status (a status given by the New York City Police Department pursuant to Title 38, Chapter 13 of the Rules of the City of New York):
must be twenty-one years of age or older,
a citizen of the United States
a resident of New York City
have no record of convictions for any felony or for any serious offence against public safety (as defined in the New York State Penal Law),
if discharged from military service, the discharge must not have been dishonorable, and
be of good moral character.
Driver License Requirement: By the time you are appointed to this position, you must have a motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. If you have moving violations, license suspension(s) or an accident record, you may be disqualified. This license must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
Medical Requirement: Medical guidelines have been established for the position of Urban Park Ranger. Candidates will be examined to determine whether they can perform the essential functions of the position of Urban Park Ranger.
Where appropriate, a reasonable accommodation will be provided for a person with a disability to enable him or her to take the examination, and /or to perform the essential functions of the job.
Preferred applicants have filed for the recent Urban Park Ranger Civil Service Examination (Exam No. 9055).
1. Bachelor’s degree. 60 college credits in Education, Science, Wildlife, Forestry or a related field.
2. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
1. Able to work any shift, including weekends and holidays.
2. Able to work outdoors in all kinds of weather; able to walk and/or stand in an assigned area; able to drive or sit in a patrol vehicle while remaining alert.
NOTE: All resumes must be received no later than the last day of the posting period. References will be required upon request.
MOVEMENT IN THE FACE OF CIVIL SERVICE LISTS IS PROHIBITED UNDER CIVIL SERVICE LAW.
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link: https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 399232.
Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2) From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link: https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 399232.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 399232 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 399232.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required within 90 days of hire for all other candidates.
To apply for this job please visit a127-jobs.nyc.gov.